onsdag 17 mars 2010

Strained vastus medialis

When I said that I would focus on cross season 2010, I was also hoping to do something before that. But on a day like today, I have to wonder. My pain is still there so it was time for a little self-diagnosis. I can tell you that it takes a PhD in Neuroscience to be able to sift through all the useless webpages before you find proper medical advice. Fortunately enough, I have a Phd in Neuroscience. Still I ended up consulting a sports medicine textbook available through the library at work.

The vastus medialis is one of the four quadricep muscles. This is the one on the inside of the leg which ends at the knee. Just down at the knee they usually call this VMO or vastus medialis oblique and this is precisely the muscle I seem to have strained.

A strong VMO helps to prevent runner's knee and the best exercises to build up strength in this are the leg press and, you guessed it, spinning! Damage to this muscle is commonly a result of improper bike position and too much resistance. I agree completely.

So I suppose I should go sit for several days at my local Vårdcentral to get this confirmed. But I am expecting that I will be out of service for 2-4 weeks more since that is usually how long things take.

This sucks.

2 kommentarer:

Björn Fredriksson sa...

www.sportrehab.se

Drop-in, 12-15 daily.
Quick and easy. Recommended.

/Knä-Björn

hejchris sa...

Yes, this is precisely what I was looking at. But work will keep me from visiting until next week so for now I have it wrapped in a compression bandage which is a good start.

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade