lördag 15 maj 2010

Cycling. Why do I bother?

And now I will write my most important entry ever. So important that there will always be a link to this. Why? So I can read it whenever I am sick or when I get upset for missing races. Why do I bother with cycling?

If you look at the results of the races I enter, the story is always the same. I am nowhere near. It is bad. In the results list, there is always a big gap in time between my name and the one above. But do I really suck?

Cycling in Sweden is very small and those competing have talent. Loads of talent! Probably they have been doing this all of their life compared to my few years of experience and no formal lessons. Actually, I have only been doing exercise of any type for a few years. So where are the others like me? They are off in Skatås or other places playing around. I know because I see them. I have chosen to join a club and support CykelSverige since this is a great thing for kids.

But back to the point...am I that useless? Lets take some examples.
GöteborgsVarvet: Last year I ran this in 1:55 which was slightly above average. Not bad since in Canada our general fitness is only slighty above that of our fat, lazy American neighbours.
Grenserittet: With basically no långlopp training at all last year, I came 3866 out of 5370 in this Norwegian race. You can understand why I have an interest in races in Norway all of a sudden.
Orust Runt: Last year I did this 80km LVG race under the disguise of a beginner (no MCK shirt). I floated around at 30km/h with one group that was trying to break away from me many times. They didn't succeed. Out of kindness I didn't spurt away at the end but I had the energy for it.
Göteborgscrossen: Every week I was battling away with people at my level. Most times I even won those battles.

So am I that bad? Nja...not really THAT bad. When I am battling with equals, I am pretty good. Then why do I keep doing MTB races with people who are all elite?

1. Cycling is fun. Just look at the smile on my face.
2. I meet a lot of great people through cycling. MCK is great. MTB Täby was great.
3. I see many places in Sweden I would not normally see. Who knew that Hjo was such a pretty little town? And I owe my love of Dalarna to cycling.
4. Cycling is a great exercise and one needs health benefits in today's stressful work environment.

And these are 4 reasons why you will still see me at races, probably finishing last. I constantly push myself and eventually I will start to take in those minutes I have up to the next person in the race. And if that never happens, who cares?

0 kommentarer:

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade