söndag 20 oktober 2013

Kolmårdscrossen race report

Okay, here comes a race report different from my usual ones just in case anyone was getting bored. Today Söderköping was rainy and very wet so things were not going my way at all. Johan started right next to me and I had a perfect start for once except Johan was way ahead. Huh? Already on the first sand part I had trouble clipping into my pedals so at the hill I had already lost a lot of ground. By the top I had caught up again and was there down the slippery grass slaloms down to the start area's hill of death. But this time the downhill was slippery and scary because it turned a bit at the bottom.

Anyway, things were okay passed the pit and I was right behind Erik from Master who must have had a very bad start considering where he finished. Anyway, the problem today was that it was so wet and slippery everywhere that every time I tried to speed up I was sliding all over. Also every hill was just pure mud so running up meant sliding mostly and then a battle with the pedals. So I had kind of lost hope pretty early on.
The look of relief to reach the top of the muddy hill of death. (Photo Per Engström)

I could see Johan ahead looking back a lot but I just could not make anything work. The longer the race went the more slippery it got and the more frustrated I got. The start area hill was very bad and I hit a bush twice plus always missed the first slalom curve because I was not braking enough. I had a front wheel slide I managed to save and then the last two times down the hill to Göta Kanal were seriously scary. This was cyclocross in every way but I could see my lack of training and skills today. It is incredible how far behind I could get on a bad day like this.

But I am still continuing and will have to see what I can do about my technique. Because the fact is I finished on a day when many did not even start. I think I was 34th or something so this means even more cup points than last week.

4 kommentarer:

Philip sa...

Gutted I missed these races, they seemed to suit me, ooh well.

You going to Åstorp, and if so can I grab a lift with you?

hejchris sa...

It was a muddy weekend, definitely.

The problem is I am not sure what time I will head down on Friday thanks to the very random undecided people I work with and their meeting plans. Did you mean the whole weekend and were you planning to stay over?

Philip sa...

It was both travelling and where are you staying,

I would need to travel down on the Saturday as I have my son's birthday party on the Friday evening, unless you're heading down there after 20:00

hejchris sa...

Okay, because I was hopefully planning to leave around lunch on Friday. I was too lazy to hunt down cheap places so I just will take 2 nights in Scandic.

Superklass seems to be losing about 10 people per week which is great for cup points but kind of crap for the sport.

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade