lördag 23 oktober 2010

Evaldscrossen Villa race report

When I arrived in Lidköping everyone asked 'Where is the new bike?' so I changed quick and then took the Ridley X-Ride to the start so it could be thoroughly examined. I couldn't try out the track because D Prestige were racing and I am glad I was not racing them today since they seemed to be flying along. Finally I could take a test lap and things felt okay until the downhill to the beach where my handlebar came loose and tipped down. So after a quick tighten I could see the rest of the lap and get to the startline on time. Talk about a long lap!

The start went fine and things were close together through the gravel and little grass/mud hills. It was very wet but not terribly slippery so it was fine. I was behind someone from Borensbergs IF but felt like it was going to slow so I passed him at the field before the löphinder. I didn't open up a gap because I was braking a lot in the downhill and had trouble getting up the grass hill after that despite lots of cheering from people. Then it was time for the beach and I hit the sand with good speed and managed a perfect line and got through. This is where everyone was standing so I had to at least try here. After that started the endless ride along Vänern which was nice even if it started raining.

Lap 2 was pretty uneventful. Somewhere around the first corner I lost contact with those in front of me and I was being chased still. The gap was pretty constant at around 30m. I was losing time on the gravel parts and gaining it back on the grass where the Ridley shines, even with clinchers. But I was already tired so I had to change for the next lap if I was to actually succeed in passing someone in SuperSpeczialKlass and staying in front of them.

Lap 3 was very eventful. I decided to fly through the road section up to varvning and keep up the speed until the grass. I was starting to take chances and brake less but I could also feel that my fork was not really handling the bumps well (i.e. loose). Despite all of this, the gap was getting smaller and his running up the grass hill was a strategy I used last week...stupid me. But he didn't get close enough. I gave it my best shot in the sand but still got stuck so I ran through. Behind me I heard the crowd yell 'Woooohhhh!' and knew that he must have taken a spectacular vurpa.

It was still tough along the beach but my superb ride on the grass and the corners after led to a sizeable and more relaxing gap. On the road section something funny was happening when I clipped in the left shoe. For each rotation my foot seemed to be moving in some strange angle. I assumed it was the pedal full of mud so I kept going. Rounding the corner to enter the start/mål area I looked down and saw that my left foot was clipped into the pedal but the vevarm was no longer attached to the bike. Shit. I was about 2 mil away from the depå where my indestructable Merida was waiting in case this happened. But feeling like I did, I decided to quit and take my first CX DNF. I had a hell of a lead on that guy too but I wished him 'grattis' when he passed.

First I was pissed and wanted to go strangle a few people in Alingsås. But then I realized that I put that part on myself. Doh. Mats fixed it for me so now it should be tight. He also fixed the fork which has come loose on both rides I have taken. I have to say that it is disappointing to have spent so much money and time on this and now it is falling apart. But I should remember that this is the first bike I have custom-made...all my others were assembled in some factory for me.

Driving home was full of mixed feelings. I normally feel down after a race because I am just dead tired. It rained heavy the entire way home and that never helps my mood either. And now that I am writing this, I actually feel like some kind of cold is brewing inside of me. So tomorrow is not looking too promising.

For me it is important to keep the cykelglädje high. And Björn said that the course will be pretty much the same tomorrow except shorter since it will have rained all night. So we will see if I start tomorrow. Maybe I will. Or maybe I will train here just to see what will fall off of the bike next.

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Good ride Chris!
But what happened to your bike yesterday happens with almost every new bike den första tiden man kör den. Or maybe not inom en halvtimma... men å andra sidan är påfrestningarna much higher in CX than on the road. Så skruva ihop den och kom igen, it´s gonna work just fine after the inkörningsperiod!
Peter

hejchris sa...

Thanks Peter!
If I had not taken my premiere ride the other day, maybe it would have lasted for the whole race? But I know what you mean. Yesterday's course was very tough on the bike and on me. I just had a lot of other things to finish today so it was best to stay home, stay healthy and take Sthlm by storm!

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade