lördag 29 maj 2010

Den Långa Dagen - race report

And so it was time for my långlopp premiere for this year. The clouds were scary but it only rained a little bit at the beginning. It was warm and very nice overall. The start was not exactly maxspeed direct so I was sitting in a klungan. I was not so happy with the pace in that one (in hindsight, I should have stayed there) so after some effort I caught up to another which was keeping a nice pace. I selfishly just sat second last in this 7-man klungan and things felt okay although the grusväg part was a bit more difficult. Then it was left onto a road heading through Saxdalen which soon led to a right turn that no one wants to see, the road up to Ljungåsen.

When the hill started på riktigt, the pace fell off directly but I had a good rhythm going so I moved to the side and took position at the front of the klungan. Two others followed and sat in front of me so I could have a nice ride the rest of the way up. At some point we passed a distance marking and I was surprised to see that we had covered 30km in just over an hour. I have never averaged anywhere near 30km/h on my MTB before so the pace was that fast. At the top there was a food stop and I had my first Enervitene liquid a banana and a water refill. For once I took the energy before I needed it.

The two I was with took a quick stop and the others who I left behind on the hill had also caught up and left just before me. So I left and rode quite hard to try and catch up but this was downhill now so it is pretty impossible to make up time going downhill. I misread the map before the race because then I realized we were also going over Abborrberg and that was not as bad as the first but tungt ändå. I was on my own all the time now but I tried to keep up the tempo.

Around 55km it happened again. Total energy crash. Evidence that I had gone out quite hard was now very obvious. I felt very weak but I tried anyway to keep a steady motion in the pedals. But my pace was way lower. At this point I was feeling stupid about the 10 LL idea because LL in general feel horrible. I knew that I was close to the 60km mark so I really tried to keep going. I could feel strange things happen because all of a sudden I had a bit of energy. Maybe I was using fat now? I saw the 60km sign and was happy but after a little bit more I started feeling weak again so I stopped for my second Liquid. I decided to keep walking and a group passed me thinking I had a punka but I said that I had no energy. I got on the bike again and tried to keep a steady pace but at the first hill I could feel the cramp monster awakening on both legs. Good thing the 2nd food stop was a bit farther ahead.

I spent quite a few minutes there enjoying gurka and sockerkaka. A lady arrived just before me said she was having cramp problems too. She left and another guy arrived and left so I was about 500 m behind him. The 70km mark was on the road from Sunnansjö and this was a nice part. My strength was back and I was slowly gaining on the guy in front of me. The course turned back onto the grusväg we started on and then there was only 10 km left. I caught up to the guy and passed because I always run the 'now or never' principle during the last 10km. So I had a good lead on him and could see the woman about 400 m ahead but then started the hill of death. Slowly sloping up and probably 2km long. Fan that hurt. I was dead but I tried to keep some pace. Seeing the road and realizing that everything else was road...man I was happy.

So then it was 5km left and the slight downhill meant I could make up time on the woman in front. At the cykelväg I managed to pass her and I kept pumping but I saw that she was på rulle so I knew that this was going to end badly. I had worked too hard and my legs were screaming so I had to shift down and take it easy. She didn't pass though. Psych games. On the last corner I went a bit wrong and saw it was shortcut so I let her pass because she went the right way. About 10 m behind her and with the Finish in view, I shifted to stora klungan fram and smallest back and flew passed her and made one hell of a spurt with the little energy I had left.

Check out these numbers!
Distance: 90km
Time: 3:46:22
Energy: 3073 kcal
Hr ave: 161
Hr max: 187

This was WAY above what I expected. Not bad at all for me. So that explains the satisfied look.

And a nice plaque never hurt either.

Even a handlebar in my ear could not stop my satisfied look...

0 kommentarer:

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade