måndag 11 juli 2011

Which car to choose?

I did not want to spend vacation time on car issues but I have no choice. After some asking round it is clear that no one can ever win the used car game so it is time to just buy new and be done with it. The following are my criteria of what a car has to be before I will buy it...

1. New
2. Well under 200000kr
3. Automatic (trust me, it is better for everyone else too)
4. As cool as possible
5. Practical enough to hold my bikes inside
6. Not white, silver or beige

These 6 things reduce the choice a hell of a lot unless I prefer ordering from the factory and waiting a minimum of 3 months. I am not at that stage yet. So which cars in greater Göteborg meet the first 3 requirements?
Kia Picanto - not big enough for my bike and far from cool
Fiat 500 - again too small and very cool except only in white and silver
Fiat Punto - good size but non-metallic white and very crap interior
Peugeot 308SW - bigger than a whale and I know what these are like after 2 years
Mitsubishi Colt - again with the non-metallic white and they have killed the design
Mazda 2 - this was highest on the list for a bit even the only one available is beige but they are everywhere and I have seen two actually broken down

So then we have the serious list...
Opel Corsa - rated by TopGear as the best car you don't want. It is so boring outside but quite comfy inside. Has an 85 bhp eco engine which saves a grand a year on taxes but is rather unexciting to drive.
Citroen C4 - Really only a few kr under the top price and quite the comfy midsized car. They had black and red which are both fine but compared to the supercool DS3 sitting next to it, somehow it seemed like a waste of money. Plus the inspection stats for 3 year old ones are well under the Germans and the eco engine was a bit small for the size of the car.
Honda Civic - I think this may be the winner. They had 5 automatics, one in each colour. The summer sale brings it into the price range and you can't get any cooler. The designers must have went mad. The engine is a 1.8L which means higher gas costs but a lot more power.

But still it is quite depressing to come to the conclusion that the Honda Civic is the best available option. There have been 5 Civics through the years in my family and two are still in service. But the Canadian version is a sedan which is ugly som fan so I could satisfyingly say to my sister that my Civic is cooler than yours.

So now I need a few days to think whether I want to dive head first into a loan at a time when I do not need a loan. It would save my cycling season...

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

All cars are big enough with a roof rack and nice Thule bike carrier. I've got a tiny Toyota Aygo, costs about as much as my bike, next to no road tax, low insurance and hardly uses any fuel. Perfect
//Philip

Anonym sa...

Yes i have a Peugot 107 with thule bike carrier is not the best car in the world but it is nice in the city. And the fuel cost is low and it goes like a gocart just keep the rpm high//
Hansen

hejchris sa...

It sounds like you both are trying to convince me to go for the Fiat 500 and a roof rack. I have an Aygo to the left and an iQ to the right where I park. The Fiat would fit nice.
Chris

Anonym sa...

Just make sure the bike fits in the car for those times when you'll leave it unattended. Mine fits in the Aygo with the wheels off, amazingly!
//Philip

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade