fredag 17 december 2010

Thinking outside the circle

Before everyone starts their Friday night chips & beer ritual, I thought I would have a small philosophical discussion. As you know, I work in research and a good way to make breakthroughs and new discoveries involves thinking outside of the box. I have always been that type of person anyway. Like in music, I will like a group when it is new and indie but when everyone else catches on, I lose interest and move onto something else. Thinking outside the box is good for moving things forward.

The last few years I have been constantly thinking outside the box and my studies are showing that the box is not really correct anymore. Which is good because boxes are so square. There is nothing cool about a box. So my work has found that reality is better represented by a circle. This is great. But the circle still needs some work so now I continue my research thinking outside the circle.

Here is the problem which I just noticed this week. The people reviewing my applications are very much fond of their box. There is nothing more square about these types. No matter what evidence is produced, they will always stand by their box. The box IS the truth. My application says a lot about a circle and that is a foreign concept which sounds a bit like the box but isn't the box. Nej, the circle must be crap then. They are probably thinking like this: Wait...now he is writing from outside the circle??? Is he mental? I am trying to see his logic here but obviously he does not understand. What a horrible application. AVSLAG!!!

It looks like I have no choice but to write my applications in a very box-like shape so people understand. And maybe towards the end of the application I can be hanging a bit off the edge of the box but I should definitely not be outside of the box. And once I get the grant money, then I can say 'surprise...it's a circle' and continue doing what I want. Yes...the master plan is set.

2 kommentarer:

Philip sa...

If people can't get out of the box its because the box is too complex for them to escape from. Try breaking the box down into smaller chunks and taking step by step to on a new path without them realizing it.

hejchris sa...

Hmm...interesting point with the 'box as prison' angle. I also think that the box is their comfort zone which they have always followed.

We are trying to slowly break down the box and change it into a circle without them really noticing but this takes time and my funding never seems to last long enough.

But it is good that I realize this now and not too late...
Chris

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade