torsdag 30 september 2010

Tufo's advice

I decided it was time to get the truth about my tape questions...does Tufo make the yellow cyclocross tape anymore and whether the orange Extreme is fine. I trusted CC Lasses opinion but I have heard different things from others and online. So I contacted Tufo and asked. Their response was surprising. They said no tape will ever work for CX and that I should use glue from Vittoria instead. Bit of a strange tip eller hur? Then I could just as well by tires from Vittoria instead.

After the weekend's disaster in terms of grip and performance, I am having my doubts of whether tubular tires are right for me. For the first thing, no one seems to sell them so I have to search online and deal with long delivery times, not to mention the 700kr price tag per tire.

Tubular are supposed to mean less flats yet there have been a few already at Hondacrossen and in Tidan. In MTB we use clincher and learn how to avoid punka risks. Why can't I do the same on my CX?

Then tubular are supposed to be lighter. This point I can agree on. But after a look at the Vittoria website, they have some pretty light clinchers. Besides, when you are as slow as I am, will 200g make that much difference?

And of course the main argument is the tire pressure. In Tidan I ran at 2.7 bar which I think is the lowest I can go with the tape and tires I have. Honestly, I think this is insanely low when I use the same pressure on my massive MTB tires. But I felt no improvements at all in terms of grip in the grass. And this whole thing with pressure is really a compromise anyway since sometimes you want higher pressure on those gravel sections.

Most of my doubts are around the gluing itself. If you are lucky, it will last 2 races. The yellow tape lasted much longer but not when I wash the bike in the shower. And the cost of a bucket of glue is not tempting either. So I don't know.

3 kommentarer:

Öijer sa...

the most important thing with tubulars is the möjlighet att run low pressure in däcken. På så sätt får man men flyt i åkningen. Sikta på 2 så är du nära. In MTB you should också have about 2 bar in the däck.

hejchris sa...

Dear Master of Cykelbloggare! =)
After sleeping on it, I am coming to the same conclusion. Running Vittoria clinchers at their suggested 4 bar is silly.
So I think I will try Tufo extreme tape + glue now that I am throwing away the budget.
Chris

Jonas l sa...

You should try some soft cxtubulars from Dugast or FMB, much much better than hard Tufos. And listen to Öijer about pressure, I run 1,4-1,7bar on my mtb tubulars and around the same on cx. With a good cluing it's like a dream. Can't come close to that soft feeling with a pair of clinchers and some latextube.

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

Blog Archive

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade