söndag 6 maj 2012

Dalsland X-country race report

Yesterday was a day of many firsts at Dalsland X-Country. Most importantly it was my first race of 2012 and the first race in awhile where nothing was preventing me from getting there. This was the first time my MTB was in my new car and it went it nicely. It was also my first race under my fake club CK Chris although that was kind of silly given the number of SCF licenced cyclists there at this 'svart tävling'. But with 500 people starting it is already one of the largest races in the country so SCF will pay attention soon.

But most importantly this is the first race where I tried a different strategy...actually racing full out. At only 50km I felt like an all-out 'crash-and-burn' attempt could work, at least until I crashed and burned. I started in Grupp 2 and, like everyone else, ignored the fact that we were not supposed to pass anyone until after the centre. I had a good position and was wondering why everyone was taking it easy. This is a race eller? So rather than fall into a routine I passed anyone I could until reaching a group which had a pace I could manage. This was smart.

After quite a light ride down to Billingfors it was time for the first singletrack and things kind of stopped dead briefly. A sarcastic brit from Uddevalla CK said 'Why did people stop for that???' and it was true. There was nothing at all to slow down for. Just perfect trail. After that things were flying along nicely and getting spread out enough to prevent any crowding. I was still passing people up until 20km and on any road section I was stora klingan and jumping up to the next group where I would sit and let someone else take the wind. I was not last in the group but, hell, in MTB no one rides together so I can be selfish.

At the food stop at 25km I knew I needed a Squeezy gel and a quick drink but because I know I lose so much time in these stops I really was quick. And that little break helped. Within a few minutes I had caught up again to those I was riding with. What was going on with my legs? When did I get so strong??? Of course somewhere around 30km the cramp monster was awakening and I had actually changed strategy a bit at this point anyway so it was fine. Now that I was with a good group I was starting to think of how to in fact outsmart them. It was time to start reading those around me to see what I was up against. Many were in pain but many were also very good. Some were masters of downhill but useless uphill.

My cramp monster was complaining so at a gå-backa I decided to take another Squeezy gel in preparation for the final 10km. I remember from the map that there was some sort of major last hill around 5km so I was not quite so 'on fire' as I usually am. But my mind was fixed on the fact that I was almost done and that calmed the cramp monster a bit. At this point people were dropping off quite a bit and I did one of those 'iskallt' attacks on a hill to pass 3 people, one of which followed.

On the final hill, which was a beauty by the way, I decided to just take it easy since no one else was in any hurry. Naturally I won this little game because I was fresh and ready to take off after the hill while others were recovering. The cramp was killing but I didn't care and tried to make the best finish possible. Every person ahead of me became a target and for the most part I was catching them and passing. I had one or two guys right behind that were also eager and in a stupid missed turn they both passed just at the last downhill. Stora klingan sprint time. And it was a long sprint on my part. The entire centre of Bengtsfors actually. I picked off one on the final stretch and the other at the finish line (despite what the result list says). Yes, photo finish please. I want to protest.

I could hardly get off my bike and both legs were a massive cramp. In fact I had to leave the area and find a place to sit down pretty fast because I was ready to collapse and feeling weak. I had taken out every last bit of energy I had. And what was the result for this 50km? A massive 02:31:21! So close to the magic 20km/h that I could not believe it! And if my protest is heard that means #100 out of 278!

What we have here my friends is the top cycling performance of my life! Even better than Grenserittet 2009 or CykelVasan 2010. And the best part of this is the nature. So many beautiful lakes in one place. And throughout the course people were out cheering the cyclists along like they do in Dalarna. Dalsland X-Country is a true gem and is precisely what MTB långlopp should be. No fuss or trouble and no prestige. Just a bunch of people that enjoy cycling. Just like Focus Cross Race in Tidan.

Go next year! You will love it!

0 kommentarer:

MTB marathons 2012

  • Dalsland X-Country
  • Karolinertrampet
  • Farrisrunden
  • Mörksuggejakten

Ski marathons 2011

  • UlricehamnsLoppet 40km

CX races in 2010/2011

  • 25 sept - Tidan
  • 2 okt - GBGcrossen 1
  • 10 okt - GBGcrossen 2
  • 16 okt - Falun
  • 17 okt - Ludvika
  • 23 okt - Lidköping
  • 30 okt - Stockholm Kungsan
  • 31 okt - Stockholm Frescati
  • 6 nov - Borås
  • 7 nov - Göteborg Slottsskogsvallen
  • 13 nov - SM Kumla
  • 14 nov - Söderköping
  • 28 nov - Luciacrossen
  • 8 jan - Södra Sandby

MTB marathons 2010

  • 29 maj Den Långa Dagen 90km - Ludvika
  • 5 juni Raumerrittet 84 km - Oslo
  • 12 juni Farrisrunden 70 km - Larvik
  • 11 juli Mörksuggejakten 70 km - Rättvik
  • 14 aug CykelVasan 90km - Mora

Other races 2010

  • Hökensåsracet - Tidaholm (H sen)
  • Högaliden race - Hjo (H sen)
  • 1:a maj loppet - Kvänum (H sen)

Link pages

Blogglista.se
Artisteer - CMS Template Generator

Popular entries

About Me

Sveriges minsta cykelblogg!

Chris 'Cross' Pickering...elitmotiönar cyclist. Svengelska blogg on cycling from a Canadian point of view. I race for Mölndals CK at the elitmotionär level and especially love MTB and cyclocross. So join me for plenty of CX links and stories of my journey throughout the year. Du kan skriva på svenska om du vill kommentera. Or you can email me at hejchris2 @ gmail.com if you have something to ask but would rather not comment.

Bloggintresserade